Its gonna be a hot one ( weather )
Just had a look at the weather and it looks like most states are in for a hot one this weekend.
Thought I would put together some tips for this hot weather.
- Keep them hydrated - keep their bowl full of water and as a treat maybe chuck a couple of ice cubes in it.
- Keep them shaded - whether it is under their favourite tree , under the patio or under some shade cloth keep them out of the sun on days like this and keep good air circulation.
- Don’t leave your pets in the car - if you are going to somewhere like the beach don’t leave them in the car. It may not seem that hot when you are driving but leave the car in the sun for a couple of minutes and it gets hot quickly. Pets can die in hot cars.
- Only water early morning or night - I prefer night. It is cooler no blinding hot sun and the plants have all night to absorb the water.
- Mulch - Mulch is important to keep the plants hydrated sorta like a slow feed of water. Be careful not to make it too thick, about 7cms is enough and not too close to the base of the plant.
- Shade - If you are going to have a scorcher then maybe get a piece of shade cloth and drape over your PVC frame so the leaves don’t get burnt, then just take it off when needed.
Yourself and your family
- Keep cool - drink lots of water.
- Keep in the shade on a weekend like this.
- If you have to go outside then then make sure you slip, slop, slap (shirt, sunscreen and hat) and reapply sunscreen as per the instructions.
- It doesn't hurt to check in on your neighbours, especially your older neighbours. Make sure they are ok, maybe take a sec and have a cold drink with them.